Sunday, April 26, 2009

Sunday Night Common Sense

This quote sticks with me for so many reasons. I've written about it before in the past, and even thought of using it to open up my dissertation on how Latino men from the Spanish-speaking Caribbean learn about intimate sexual relationships.

From Puerto Rican Bronx-born author Abraham Rodriguez, whose book Spidertown won the 1995 American Book Award. My absolutely favorite quote from this book:


The woman is supposed to know where she's at, where she belongs. It was all in his blood. To be the man. The woman just did what the man said. That was respect. Tradition. Yet Miguel was throwing it all away, the ghosts of a hundred million Latin machistas all hanging their heads and cursing him.

"I'm sorry," he whispered in the dark forest of her hair. "I didn't meant' order you around."

"Me neither," she said. They kissed and that was all that mattered in the world.

page 308

No comments:

Post a Comment