Friday, May 1, 2009

Long Live QUEEN!

I saw an early screening of the latest on-screen collaboration with Gael García Bernal and Diego Luna, Rudo y Cursi. I'll post a link to my review when my editor publishes it next week. In short, if there were ever a film to spend $10 it would be this one! If you didn't know who is behind this film here's a rundown:

writer & director: Carlos Cuarón (Y Tu Mamá También)
Producers: Alfonso Cuarón (Children of Men)
Alejandro González Iñárritu (Amores Perros, 21 Grams)
Guillermo del Toro (Pan's Labyrinth)

You MUST go see this film!

But this is not a post about the film, it's more so a post about how shocked and eerie it was to see Diego Luna with a mustache. My shock and nostalgia was because Luna looks just like a young Freddie Mercury! Check these photos out!

Here is Diego Luna, photo credit to Sony Pictures and CineCineCine.com. Not convinced? Check this photo out of Luna.





Here is Freddie Mercury, musician and co-founder of the band Queen, photo credit MuchMusic & StarPulse.com.

Some may wonder why this is so eerie and nostalgic, well perhaps it's because you are not familiar with Queen or Freddie Mercury. They were amazing! Some of the most fantastic performances, lyrics, entertainment was created by the band. Part of this performance was playing with the idea of gender, masculinity, and blurring what one must look like to be a man. Plus, Mercury, as a man of Color, gay, out, and HIV positive (although not out about his status until the day before his death).

I caught a documentary of Freddie Mercury on the Logo Channel earlier in April while visiting my family. Mercury leaves us with an amazing legacy of his work and how he has uses his craft as a form of activism.

Rumors have it that a new film about Mercury is in the works and that Johnny Depp is said to play him. I'd argue for Luna to play him, although I wouldn't mind either of the two, and chances are Depp draws a larger audience than Luna. Nonetheless, seeing Luna in the film took me back to the days when music was like this where the call-and-response gives me chills!:









1 comment:

  1. I cannot wait to see Rudo y Cursi. Gael is my next Mexican lover. ja ja. Well only in my head.

    ReplyDelete