Friday, September 21, 2012

Day 7: 30 Day Latin@ Blog Challenge


Day 7 -  Post a picture about your culture and explain its significance



this is a foto from “our big fat puerto rican lesbian wedding” that happened 2 years ago. it’s my sister and her wife (and in the right my sister’s best friend). they are holding their marriage certificate. they got married in DC in June when DC legalized same gender marriage.
we were treated with respect, dignity, and congratulations as we walked into the court house. it was so hot. over 100 degrees. everybody cried. and they let us take fotos for 20 min before in the room and for 10 min after the ceremony. 
a month later my dad married his wife in a court house in their state. i had just come back from spending a week with a homegirl on her honeymoon b/c she was stood up at the alter (literally, i was there to do her make up and old boy called and said he wasnt coming!). being with her was the hardest thing i’ve ever had to do in my life right now.
i chose this foto b/c that year my sister and father found love in the ways they desire. my papi cried when he said his vows. he cried when he told me how lucky he is to have had my mother love him and now his current wife love him. 
he is very much learning with the same gender tip stuff. he has no one to talk to about my sisters b/c all his homies never talk about lesbians and he doesnt know how to bring it up or talk about it. when the wedding was being planned for my sister my dad asked me “bibi what do i wear to the ceremony” b/c he didnt think it was the same tradition/ritual as he’s used to. he’s learning. it’s all a process. 
this is significant because so many folks think Latin@s are homophobic, and some are, but not all of us. Many of us, and our elders, are open to learning and that’s what makes my family dope.

No comments:

Post a Comment