Thursday, February 4, 2010

LatiNegr@s Project: Gwen Ifill


Yes, you read that correctly: Gwen Ifill, journalist, author, newscaster, and, in my opinion, activist. She moderated the 2004 and 2008 US vice-presidential debates and got some critique when her name was announced as moderator because of her book that was released in 2009 about POTUS Obama.

Many don't know that her ethnic background is very much from the Caribbean. Her father is of Panamanian and Bajan decent and her mother is of Bajan decent. I feel as thought I've grown up with Gwen because, well I have. She started early in her career in Baltimore and working with the Washington Post. As many of you know I'm originally from the Washington DC/MD area. I always saw her, and I'll admit that as I grew up I read her as African American, as she is! It was not until I became an adult that I learned of her ethnic background and explored my own. Her existence and representation in the media was very much a part of helping me expand my knowledge and imagery of Blackness and being Caribbean.

What are your memories of Gwen Ifill?

foto credit: pbs.org

No comments:

Post a Comment